miércoles, 18 de abril de 2012

How to write a formal e-mail

Formal e-mails in English
Dear readers,
After writing a post on "how to describe photos in English", I am going to write about something that it can come very handy in case you want to apply for a job in an English speaking country.
From my own experience I can say that this "writing task" is the one that I have used most in real life. It´s fair enough that you have to learn how to write a story in English, an argumentative essay or a newspaper article but I have not written any of them in real life yet.At the end of the day you just end up writing e-mails, filling in application packs, filling in complaint forms and many other types of forms to apply for everything: from Tesco´s card to the national insurance number.Consequently, I think you will find this post extremely useful.
So if you need to write a formal e-mail to apply for a position abroad,follow the tips below:
  • Start your e-mail using: Dear Sir/Madam if you don´t know the name/ gender of the addressee.
  • Start using Mr or Mrs + surname if you do know the name of the addressee.
  • After the greeting,continue "I am writing + reason ", for example: I am writing to apply for the helpdesk assistant position you offer.
  • Continue: "As you can see in my CV" and go on talking about your experience and personal skills related to the job you are applying for.
  • Use full forms, never contractions.
  • Use "I would be grateful if you could send me an application pack", for example.
  • If you want to attach your CV you can use this expression:"please find my CV attached".
  • To finish, don´t forget to say "I look forward to hearing from you" or "If you need further information about my CV, work experience,do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail or on my cell:xxxxxxxxxx"
  • Type in your contact information: full name, current job title and/or company, telephone number, email address and website, if relevant.
  • According to http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/coveringletters.htm, the structure should look like this:

First Paragraph

  • State the job you’re applying for.
  • Where you found out about it (advert in The Guardian newspaper etc. - organisations like to know which of their advertising sources are being successful)
  • When you're available to start work (and end if it's a placement)

Second Paragraph

  • Why you're interested in that type of work
  • Why the company attracts you (if it's a small company say you prefer to work for a small friendly organisation!)

Third Paragraph

  • Summarise your strengths and how they might be an advantage to the organisation.
  • Relate your skills to the competencies required in the job.

Last Paragraph

  • Mention any dates that you won't be available for interview
  • Thank the employer and say you look forward to hearing from them soon.
If you start with a name (e.g. "Dear Mr Bloggs") you should end with "Yours sincerely". If you start with "Dear Sir or Madam" you should end with "Yours faithfully".

No hay comentarios: